Customer acquisition is the lifeblood of a catalog business. Without a steady inflow of new customers, how will you grow? In this digital world, competition is fierce.
How do you grow your “hot prospect” customer file? In the world of Amazon Prime and competitive shopping, how can a cataloger compete? Today’s article focuses on three strategies to capture hot prospects. Next time, the focus will be on converting those hard-won prospects.
Three Ways to Capture Catalog Prospects:
- Invest in the email address
- Barter with non-competitors
- Rent names
Invest in capturing the email address of browsers
Google search and SEO are critical tools for cataloguers. But, many prospects browse before they buy. As they look elsewhere, make sure you have the opportunity to remind them of your fabulous products. These people took action to get to know you. Ask to communicate with them. Capture that email address!
- Use a slider! Don’t let the prospect leave your site without a last chance effort to capture their email address for remarketing efforts.
- Have a “Join Us” page for prospects to stay in touch. Consider a bold Free Shipping offer to snag the email address today. Free Shipping offers do not devalue your brand like a savings offer and simultaneously lower the risk of trying your product. When it works well, prospects convert right away!
Leverage industry partners
Cooperatives have long-embraced the model of working together and sharing consumer information. Cooperatives work for some catalogers and offer a straightforward option for a price. If you have not considered cooperatives, it may be worth exploring (not today’s topic). How about building your own coalition and partnering to grow your mutual prospects?
- Are there media giants or complementary products who write content or market products relevant to your target? Partner on a sweepstakes, publicize it through all partner media and share the prospects.
- Participate in trade show booth attendance contests. Use sign-up forms at your booth with segmentation forms/prize entries to make sure the prospects you catch are potentially interested in your offering.
Rent names and test
- Set aside funds in every mailing to try new lists. Stretch into unknown territory, choosing lists based on profile criteria common to your top customers. Be prepared to win some and lose some. Catalog clients of Hansel Group Marketing are sometimes surprised with lists that return great value!
- Develop a relationship with a trusted list resource to research new possible lists, negotiate prices and guide your list testing strategy.
Overwhelmed with a starting point? Contact Hansel Group Marketing. We are happy to get you started with one new prospecting strategy for the new year.
Time to go fishing!
Copyright: lculig / 123RF Stock Photo